Zenex International is a rapidly growing specialty pharmaceutical stockiest/distributor/retailer based in Bangalore, India. They are specialized in Anti-infective, Anesthesia, Vaccines/Immunoglobulins, Cardiology, Narcotics, Schedule-X, Nephrology, Antidotes, Oxytocin, Parenteral Nutrition, Critical Care, CNS, Nuclear Medicines and other specialty medicines.
Zenex International is a vital bridge between reputed companies and super-specialty hospitals. They extensively cover every nook and corner of Bangalore city covering around 3000 customers, which includes Nursing Homes, Hospitals, Govt Hospitals, Doctors and Patients.
In a conversation with Mr. V.V. Mannapur, Owner of Zenex International, we discussed the current industry scenario and how Zenex is empowering the sector with its top-notched offerings.
- What inspired you to start the company? Please brief us about the company.
I am from a Business family, done pharmacy graduation. I wanted to utilize my knowledge & experience to achieve something innovative in the Pharma distribution industry. When we started along with my friend, we use to market the imported medicine initially. The reason, I chose pharmacy specifically over the other health care professions is because a lot of people rely on medications to help them feel better. Pharmacists would be able to help patients optimize their drug therapy to improve their health. Pharmacists play a key role in helping patients feel better and get well as quickly as possible. Patients do best when pharmacists are part of their healthcare teams, because, pharmacists are the medication specialists. Pharmacists culturally competent healthcare providers who communicate effectively to evaluate many factors that affect a patient’s ability to take a medication including diet, lifestyle, transportation, language barriers and much more. There is an ongoing demand for pharmacy services and the demand is fuelled by the factors like increased demand for patient services, increase in several prescriptions filled each year, increase in the number of medicines available on the market, increase in the elderly population (older patients generally have a more chronic illness).
- What were the initial challenges you faced?
Initially when we started to company. We were not having much product to sell and on the other hand, we were not having enough customer base. Working capital was very low and very few employees were there. These are some challenges I faced.
- Which was that point that triggered the growth of the company?
Service and knowledge are the key factors in the growth of the company. We have worked more on these factors by giving more and accurate information about imported medicines to doctors. We also worked on the fastest delivery system for emergency medicines.
- How have the company graphs changed since the foundation? Can you share a few statistics?
During initial first 5 years, we started with only one company and at the end of the 5 years, we were associated with around 20 authorized companies. We have grown during this period from turn-over of 2.5 lakhs to 25 lakhs per month. During the second 5 years Zenex International, became an independent proprietorship company, and the base is increased drastically in specialty medicine and a super stockist which provided us an opportunity to have serve entire Karnataka.
During the third 5 years we associated with a super-specialty company with nuclear medicine manufacturer and supplied in Karnataka and Tamilnadu. Authorized national and multinational companies impressed with our service and approached us to associate with.
During the last 5 years, we have associated with 60 authorized companies. Now we supply highest number of injectable Anti-infective, Anaesthesia, and other Bio-technology specialty products like Vaccines, Human Albumins, Hormones, Antidotes, Immunoglobulins.
- What is the reason behind your company’s long-standing success?
We believe in basics like the quality of services, strong ethics and dedication to the work with commitment. Well-planned market research, advertising, marketing innovative unique products, dedicated trained team to meet timely supply, building strong customer relationships, understanding the competition, all these things helped us longest long-lasting constant business.
- What are the products/services the company focuses on? How are your services different from those in the market?
Our product mix is highly specialized.
- Injectable anti-infective
- Excise medicines (Narcotic)
- Vaccines, Hormones and Immunoglobulins
- Oxytocin of all leading brands
- Covid medicines
- Nephrology and Cardiology medicines
All the above products are highly specialized and available in a single point with multiple brand choices. Our product range and our services are different from others. We have about 80% of essential medicine listed drugs. In each segment of products, we keep on increase new products like example: we have oxytocin of all 3 leading brands in the market.
Wide range of pharmaceutical products from reputed companies, Reliable delivery, Reasonable rates, Supply chain network allows to run smoothly and effectively, Convenience and extra services, Established reputation. We serve individual customs independently. We have a special delivery system for urgent delivery.
- How do you decide to take the company a step further in terms of your products/services?
Hope to tie up with many reputed companies which are highly specialized in the product range. We want to expand our customer base so that we can reach out to many specialized hospitals.
- Is there any new addition to the list of products/services? Anything exciting you would like to share?
During a pandemic, we added Remedevir, the only effective medicine against Covid 19 virus from Zydus Cadila. The supply was very less and the demand was very huge. Still, we handled the situation effectively and ethically. German Remedies company believed in us and we effectively distributed more than lakh injections throughout Karnataka.
- What do you think are the responsibilities of an entrepreneur?
We believe and take care of 3 major stakeholders namely.
- Customers – Understand the customers and need and supply.
- Employees – Well taken care of all the employees and help them to achieve.
- Vendors – Best possible payments to all the vendors.
- Can you please brief us about your professional experience?
I have worked in pharma marketing and sales for 6 years. In this period, I have got exposure in the specialty market.
- What are the key achievements of your entrepreneurial journey?
- 2012 – Bharat Gaurav award,
- 2018 – Indian Brand award,
- 2017 – Silicon India retail pharma
- Is there any special experience with your clients you would like to highlight?
There is a special experience with our customer. We went to the customer’s place at 6.30 am to collect the orders personally and supplied it by 10.00 am. The customer was so happy that he continued to work with us since then.
- How do you look after your employees? What makes your team unique?
We provide them a good friendly atmosphere, work satisfaction, and good salary. We also give trainees in various knowledge-based programs to improve the efficiency of employees. We will arrange fully paid trips and team-building activities.
- Kindly brief us about your views on the current Biotechnology and Healthcare sector scenario.
- High-level political commitment to invest in the healthcare sector
- Changing mindset and attitude
- Sustainable social community healthcare schemes
- Skill development and capacity building
- Reducing healthcare costs by innovations use of technology best practices participatory approach involving an oath NGOs
- Strengthening of public healthcare infrastructure
- Improve working conditions of health staff especially in rural areas
- Creating awareness and empowering patients
- Which is the most inspiring quote you have read?
A customer is the most important visitor on our premises. He is not dependent on us. We are dependent on him. He is not an interruption in our work. He is the purpose of it. He is not an outsider in our business. He is part of it. We are not doing him a favour by serving him. He is doing us a favour by allowing us to do so.